Shimla is the beautiful capital city of the north Indian state of Himachal Pradesh. This charming city is surrounded by lofty snow-peaked mountains and dense forests. Shimla was declared as the summer capital of British India in the 19th century and due to this you can see lovely Georgian houses and Victorian structures around the city. Shimla is well connected by rail,road, and air. Shimla Airport is located at Jubbarhatti, which is 23 km away from the city centre. The nearest railhead is Kalka Railway Station, which is connected to major Indian cities. Additionally, you can take a bus or self-drive to Shimla from nearby cities like Delhi and Chandigarh.
Major Attractions :
● Kalka-Shimla Railway: Recognised by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, the Kalka-Shimla railway takes you on a spellbinding journey from Kalka to Shimla. The train passes through 102 tunnels and 864 bridges. The architecture of the bridges and the stunning locales will form an everlasting memory in your mind.
● Viceregal Lodge: It was built in the year 1888 for the British Viceroy of India. Built in Jacobethan style, the gorgeous building has amazing architecture and impressive interiors.
● Kufri: Located at a distance of 14 km from Shimla, Kufri is a famous tourist hotspot in the district. It’s bustling with trekking activities, picnickers, and nature enthusiasts. You can go skiing, enjoy rides at Kufri Fun World, or take a look at wildlife in Himalayan Nature Park.
● Green Valley: This lush green valley is located near Kufri. It is surrounded by thick forests of pine and deodar trees. It is a perfect place for photography and occasionally you may also spot a yak grazing around the valley.
● Annandale: Annandale is a popular picnic spot in Shimla. It once served as a golf course and is now owned by the Indian Army. Experience a tranquil time in the laps of nature and visit the Army Museum which is home to artefacts and photographs depicting the history of the Indian Army.
When To Visit :
You can plan a holiday to Shimla any time of the year. The summer season from March to June is a perfect time to enjoy outdoor activities like paragliding or trekking. Shimla gets heavy rainfall during the monsoon season from July to September. The winter season from October to February is a popular tourist season. During December and January, skiing and ice skating activities take off.