Ooty is a picturesque hill station located in the south Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Situated amidst the Nilgiri mountains, Ooty is nature’s paradise. Also known as Queen Of Hill Stations, Ooty is adorned with majestic mountains, beautiful lakes, and sprawling grasslands. Since Ooty was the summer capital of the Madras Presidency, a lot of colonial buildings still exist in some parts of the town. Ooty can be reached by rail, road, and air. The nearest airport is Coimbatore International Airport, which is located at a distance of 88 km from Ooty. Situated at a distance of 40 km from Ooty, Mettupalayam Railway Station is the nearest railhead. Additionally, you can board government or luxury buses from Bangalore, Mysore, and Chennai to reach Ooty.
Major Attractions :
● Nilgiri Mountain Railway: Built by the British in 1908, Nilgiri Mountain Railway has been declared as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. The toy train takes you on an enchanting journey through tunnels and bridges from Mettupalayam to Ooty. Sit by the window and enjoy the cool mountain air and breathtaking views of the surrounding valley.
● Ooty Lake: Winding through the mystical Nilgiri mountains, Ooty Lake is an ideal spot for picnics and boating. The 2.5 km long lake was constructed by John Sullivan in the year 1824.
● Ooty Botanical Garden: Spread over an area of 22 hectares, the botanical garden houses more than 650 species of exotic flowers and trees. The main highlight of the garden is a 20-million-year-old fossilised tree.
● Government Rose Garden: This garden is located at an altitude of 2200 metres and has the largest collection of roses in India. Some of the different varieties of roses in this garden are hybrid tea roses, miniature roses, floribunda, ramblers, and polyanthas.
● Pine Forest: The huge forest lies between Ooty and Thalakunda. A lot of Bollywood movies have been shot in this forest, making it quite popular among tourists. The calm and tranquil atmosphere of the forest will definitely captivate your senses.
When To Visit :
Ooty has a pleasant temperature all round the year. The summer season, which lies between March and June can be ideal for sightseeing and outdoor activities. The monsoon season from July to September bathes the city in heavy rain showers. However, if you love cold places, visit during the winter season from October to February and embrace the chilly breeze that engulfs the town.