Nainital is a proud diamond in the crown called Himalayas. It is undeniably bestowed with a natural splendour with varied natural resources. With the epithet Lake District of India, it is the home to a large number of picturesque and mesmerising lakes. Some of the most popular lakes here are Naini Lake, Bhimtal Lake, Sattal Lake, and Khurpatal Lake.
The nearest domestic airport is situated in Pantnagar which is 65 km from Nainital and the closest international airport to Nainital is in Delhi, which is 290 km away from the city. The place can also be reached via train. The nearest railhead is located at a distance of 35 km in Kathgodam.
Major Attractions :
● Sattal: Sattal, Hindi for seven lakes, is a group of seven freshwater lakes which are all interconnected to each other. Sattal provides a mesmerising scenic beauty as these lakes are surrounded by hills on all sides and are quite popular among married couples.
● Naini Lake: Situated amidst the town, Naini Lake is famous for its peculiar kidney shape. It is quite a popular tourist spot among boating enthusiasts. Naini Lake is also loved for its rich and colourful flora and fauna. It nests some of the most beautiful Himalayan flowers all around its coastline.
● Pt. G. B. Pant High Altitude Zoo: Situated on Sher ka Danda hill, G.B. Pant High Altitude Zoo is quite famous for housing several endangered species of Himalayas like snow leopard, Tibetan wolf, and leopard cat.
● Mountain Peaks: Peaks like Naina Devi, Bandar Punchh West, and Trimukhi Parvat can’t be missed when in Nainital. These hills provide an unmatched scenic beauty throughout the year and hence have become the most visited hill stations in India.
● Gurney House: It was the house of hunter-conservationist and writer Jim Corbett. The colonial-styled furniture and his writings in the house will surely take you back in time.
When To Visit :
Though a year-round place, you would want to visit the place according to the things you want to do in Nainital. But in terms of climate, the best season to visit will be during March to June, which is summer. On one hand summer will give you the gift of picturesque environ with clear climate suitable for sightseeing, while on other hand winter (October to February) will bestow a misty charm over its scenic beauty.