Mysore is the third-largest city in the south Indian state of Karnataka. Also known as Palace City Of India, it served as the capital city of Mysore Princely kingdom for six centuries. Situated at the base of Chamundi Hills, Mysore is one of the top tourist destinations in India. Mysore is well connected to other parts of India via rail, road, and air. Bengaluru International Airport is the nearest international airport, which is located at a distance of 185.7 km from Mysore. Many luxury buses and taxis are available to take you from Bangalore to Mysore. Mysore Railway Station connects the city to Bangalore, Hassan, and Chamrajnagar.
● Mysore Palace: Mysore Palace is the main tourist attraction in the city. The huge palace has a rich architecture and houses many valuable paintings. The majestic palace is beautifully decorated during the Dasara* festival. Visit during the month of September to October to be a part of the grand celebrations.
● Brindavan Gardens: This beautiful botanical park is famous for its natural beauty and fountains. You can enjoy a musical fountain show in the evening.
● Mysore Zoo: Located on the outskirts of Mysore, the zoo is one of the oldest and most popular zoos in India. It houses many wild species and is frequently visited by tourists all round the year.
● Chamundi Hills: Chamundi Hills is situated at a distance of 13 km from Mysore and elevated at a height of 1000 metres. From the hilltop, you can view the entire city of Mysore.
● Rail Museum: The museum is located close to Mysore Railway Station. The prime attraction is the special train which was used by the Queen. You can see the royal chambers inside the train. Kids can enjoy a ride aboard a toy train. The museum also houses some very old locomotives, some of which are still in working condition.
When To Visit:
Mysore has a pleasant climate throughout the year. The winter season from October to February is one of the best times to visit this beautiful city as the weather is cool and the city is lit up with Dasara* celebrations. The summer season from March to May has a mild weather and can be an ideal time for sightseeing. The city looks splendid during the monsoon season, which lies between June and September.
Indian Terms Explained:
Dasara: An important Hindu festival celebrated in honour of Goddess Durga.