Munnar is a hill station nestled between three mountain rivulets, Mudhirapuzha, Nallathanni, and Kundala, in the Idukki district of Kerala. The lush tea gardens and clear mountain air of Munnar, welcomes you to have an enriching holiday experience. Munnar is also surrounded by many attractive tourist spots such as, Attukal Waterfalls, Eravikulam National Park, Mattupetty Dam, Echo Point, Anamudi Peak, which can be easily accessed by bus or car. Munnar is ideal for sightseeing, trekking, bird watching, and wildlife adventures. The nearest airport to Munnar is Cochin International Airport, and the closest major railway stations are at Ernakulam and Aluva.
Major Attractions :
● Eravikulam National Park- 26 species of mammals, 132 species of birds, and 19 species of amphibians are found to be in this park. This park is also home to the largest surviving population of Nilgiri Tahr.
● Attukal- Witness a panorama of rolling hills and waterfalls at Attukal, located between Munnar and Pallivasal. Attukal is especially ideal for long treks.
● Tata Tea Museum- This museum is a delightful treat for tea lovers, as it teaches you about the history of tea manufacturing processes. The museum also houses interesting photographs and machineries, which date back to the beginning of the 20th century.
● Blossom International Park- This park is located 3 km from Munnar, and is spread over 16 acres of land. It is thriving with a huge variety of flowers and exotic plants. It also offers tracks for boating, cycling, roller skating, and other such activities.
● CSI Christ Church- This church was built by the British in the year 1910. The old stone edifice is a marvellous work of art and architecture. The stained glass windows and the engraved brass plaques render an old world charm to this church.
When To Visit :
The best time to visit Munnar is during the winter season, from December to February, as the weather is ideal time for outdoor activities and sightseeing. The summer season extends from March to May; the temperature rises by a few notches, but remains pleasant. It is a perfect time to stroll around the tea estates. The monsoon season is between June and September, and is a great time to visit the waterfalls that gush down the mountains.