Lucknow is a multicultural city in the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. Lucknow is also popularly known as City Of Nawabs as it was ruled by many royal dynasties like Mughals, Nawabs of Awadh, Delhi Sultanate, and Sharqi Sultanate. This beautiful city has been a major artistic and cultural hub of India since the 18th and 19th centuries. Lucknow is also famous for its delicious cuisine, historical monuments, and the mix cultural traits of the locals. You can reach Lucknow by rail, road, or air. Lucknow has its own airport, Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport. Lucknow Railway Station is the city’s main railway station and is connected to all major cities in India. You can also travel to Lucknow via inter-state buses from other cities of Uttar Pradesh.
Major Attractions :
● Bara Imambara: This magnificent edifice was built by the 4th Nawab of Awadh. The most remarkable feature of Bara Imambara is the labyrinth present on the upper floor of the monument. Don’t forget to hire a guide so that you don’t get lost in the maze.
● Shahi Bawli: This mystical well is located on the eastern side of Bara Imambara. You can see coloured images of people coming through the main gate of Shahi Bawli in the water of the well.
● Rumi Darwaza: Also known as the Turkish gateway, this imposing structure is located just beyond Bara Imambara. Built by the Romans in the 18th century, Rumi Darwaza is an impressive work of architecture.
● Clock Tower: It is also known as Hussainabad Clock Tower and is one of the finest works of British architecture in India. The clock in the tower was brought from London and the structure was constructed to commemorate the arrival of Sir George Cooper, the first Lt. Governor of Awadh.
● Chhatar Manzil: This magnificent palace has a dome surmounted by an umbrella.The lower storey of the building is submerged in water which flows through an unknown passage from River Gomti. The building has been converted into a museum which houses exquisite paintings of the rules of Oudh.
When To Visit :
You can plan a visit to Lucknow at any time of the year. However, the best time to visit Lucknow would be during the winter season which lies between October and March. The winter season is also the best time to stroll around the city and become a part of the local culture. Lucknow experiences high temperature during the months of April, May, and June, and so it would be best to avoid a holiday during that time.