Kovalam is a beach town situated along the Arabian Sea in Trivandrum city, within the state of Kerala. This small fishing village was made popular by the hippies of the seventies, on their way to Ceylon. The 17 km coastline is especially popular among foreign tourists due to the shallow waters and low tides that make for ideal swimming and surfing conditions. The Kovalam beaches are surrounded by a rocky cape abundant in coconut trees that bend down to kiss the golden sand. Kovalam is well connected by rail, road, and air. The nearest airport to Kovalam is Trivandrum International Airport, while Trivandrum Central is the closest railway station. If you’re in the mood to travel by sea, the port of Vizhinjam is only 3 kms from this town.
Major Attractions :
● Karamana River- This river, in the Thiruvananthapuram district, flows 68 km westward and falls into the Arabian Sea at Panathura, near Kovalam. The river is abundant with various species of interesting fish.
● Vellayani Lake- One of the most popular freshwater lakes in Kerala, tourists can enjoy a boat ride on this lake while being privy to the exotic flora and fauna. This is what makes the lake a unique ecosystem.
● The Lighthouse Beach- This beach gets its name from the 35 metre high lighthouse, situated on a hillock named Kurumkal. Visitors are allowed to savour the spectacular view of the sea from the lighthouse.
● Samudra Beach- Situated on the northern side of Kovalam, this beach is popular for seafood. It is predominantly a trading place for fishermen. The shallow water of the beach makes it a perfect spot for swimming.
● Ayurveda Panchakarma Centre- After an exhausting day at the beach, enjoy a relaxing massage at this ayurvedic centre that is especially popular among foreign tourists, because of the high quality massage oils and techniques used. Make a reservation in advance to avoid long waiting hours.
When To Visit :
The best time to visit Kovalam is during the winter season, between November to February, as the temperature is around 16 degrees celsius. At this time, the weather is ideal for sightseeing or beach hopping. There are clear skies during the summer season, between March and May. The monsoon season starts from June and extends upto August, and moistens Kovalam with heavy showers.