Kavaratti and Minicoy Islands are part of the union territory of Lakshadweep in India. Kavaratti is the capital city of this atoll conglomerate, whereas Minicoy is the southernmost atoll of the archipelago of Lakshadweep. They make a popular exotic tourist destination due to their pure white sand beaches and scenic lagoons.
How to reach Lakshadweep Island is the major concern for tourists who are keen on visiting this beautiful place. Hence it is suggested to opt for a flight to the nearest airport, which is Cochin International Airport. Cochin is very well linked to Lakshadweep and other conjoining islands via waterways.
Major Attractions :
● Kavaratti Island Lagoon: This is the most attractive tourist spot on Kavaratti Island which attracts a large number of travelers every year. There are a number of interesting activities to indulge in here, especially water sports like snorkelling, scuba diving, and surfing. These adventurous sports will surely add great fun to your overall journey.
● Kavaratti Island Marine Aquarium: This aquarium is a must visit for all those who are planning to visit Kavaratti Island. Tourists from all over the world flock in to see the beauty and charm of this huge aquarium.
● Urja Mosque: Located in the south-eastern part of the island, Urja Mosque is yet another famous tourist spot of this place. This grand mosque was constructed by Sheikh Mohammed Kasim in the 17th century. It is quite a famous pilgrimage spot in Kavaratti as the mosque houses Sheikh Mohammed Kasim’s grave.
● Lighthouse: This lighthouse, built by the British in the year 1885, is a major attraction in Minicoy Island. It is surrounded by pristine white sand and beautiful palm trees, and is a pure delight to witness.
● Jumma Masjid: Jumma Masjid, located in Minicoy Island, is another major attraction that you should not miss. It is famous for its intricate and exquisite architecture.
When To Visit :
Summers in Lakshadweep Islands are very hot, and temperature generally stays above 35 degree Celsius. So it is suggested to visit the place between November and April, which is winter season. The temperature remains around 22 degree to 30 degree Celsius during this period, which is suitable for having beach fun and water sports.