Chhatarpur, named after its founder and the Rajput leader Chhatrasal, has always been a very famous tourist destination in India for its rich cultural heritage. This picturesque hilly town will charm especially those who are fascinated by ancient Indian history on traditional cultures and heritage.
The airport located nearest to Chhatarpur is Khajuraho Domestic Airport, which is around 45 min drive to Chhatarpur. The nearest international airport is in Bhopal, which is approximately a 5-hour drive from Chhatarpur. You can also reach Chhatarpur via train. The closest railway station is located in Khajuraho and is very well connected to all the major cities in the country.
Major Attractions :
● Khajuraho: Khajuraho temples are one of the most popular tourist places in India as they are known to have a huge collection of ancient Hindu and Jain temples. They are famed all over the world especially for their erotic and carnal sandstone sculptures.
● Hanuman Tauria: Hanuman Tauria is a Hindu temple for God Hanuman*, which is located among the longest and highest hills in the heart of the city. It is largely visited by locals and tourists on Saturdays and Tuesdays.
● Raneh Falls: It is a natural waterfall located on the river Ken. The striking feature about the fall is that it’s nestled in a 5 km long and 98 ft deep canyon made of crystalline granite. This granite canyon varies in colour from pink to grey and is a mesmerising view to witness.
● Ken Gharial Sanctuary: Ken Gharial Sanctuary is situated near the confluence of the rivers Ken and Khuddar. These rivers house a huge collection of rare breeds of reptiles, primarily crocodiles. But the sanctuary remains closed during monsoons as it is the breeding season for gavials.
● Matangeshwar Temple: It is one of the most visited Hindu shrines in Khajuraho. It houses a lingam which is the representation of Hindu deity Shiva.
When To Visit :
The best season to visit Chhatarpur is winter, which stays between October and March. The weather during these months is pleasant and comfortable, apt for sightseeing. Visiting the place during summers (April to June) should be avoided as the weather remains hot and exhausting during this time.
Indian Terms Explained :
Hanuman: A Hindu monkey deity and ardent follower of lord Rama.