Agra is a historical city situated on the banks of Yamuna river in the state of Uttar Pradesh. Agra, also known as the City Of Taj, attracts tourists like moths to flames. This north Indian city carries the legacy of the Mughal Empire in its beautiful tombs and mausoleums. Agra was beautified by Mughal emperors like Akbar, Jahangir, and Shah Jahan, who built huge gardens and constructed architectural marvels. Agra is well connected by rail, road, and air. The nearest airport is Indira Gandhi International Airport which is situated at a distance of 217.8 km from Agra. You can also hire a taxi or take a bus from Greater Noida and reach Agra via the 6-lane Yamuna Expressway. The closest railway station is Agra Cantonment which is connected to all major cities in India.
Major Attractions :
● Taj Mahal: The magical Taj Mahal is the main tourist spot of Agra. Declared as a World Heritage Site, Taj Mahal is a brilliant man-made wonder that epitomises the love of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan for his wife Mumtaz Mahal. You can visit Taj Mahal any day of the week except on Fridays, when it is only open to people attending prayers at the mosque.
● Agra Fort: Agra Fort or Red Fort is another World Heritage Site built by the great Mughal emperor Akbar. It houses the Diwan-i-Aam* and Diwan-i-Khaas*, which was used by Emperor Shah Jahan for various bureaucratic and leisurely purposes. You can take a cycle-rickshaw* from Taj Mahal to reach Agra Fort.
● Mehtab Bagh: Admire the beauty of Taj Mahal from Mehtab Bagh, which is located on the eastern banks of Yamuna river. Capture amazing pictures of Taj Mahal during sunset and take home a vivid memory of the monument.
● Jama Masjid: This mosque was built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. This simplistic old mosque is made of red sandstone and white marble. It’s unique for the unusual structure of its dome.
● Fatehpur Sikri: Although Fatehpur Sikri is 35 km away from Agra, this World Heritage Site is worth your time as it houses many important historical monuments. The majestic Buland Darwaza is located in Fatehpur Sikri.
When To Visit :
The best time to visit Agra is during the winter season, which lies between October and March when the climate is pleasant. You can also choose to visit during the monsoon season from August to October and enjoy the rain-washed grandeur of Taj Mahal. However, if you plan to visit between April and July, you can get good deals on hotels as it is an off season.
Indian Terms Explained :
Diwan-i-Aam: Hall of commons.
Diwan-i-Khaas: Hall of royals.
Cycle-rickshaw: A tricycle with covered seats for passengers behind the driver.